Chicago loves dogs! That’s evident by the number of dog-friendly places and activities for our furry friends.
Have you visited these dog-friendly attractions near The Admiral at the Lake?
Dog-Friendly Chicago Parks
The Chicago Park District is keenly aware of the needs of dog-lovers in the Windy City. With that in mind, they’ve developed numerous dog parks, both aquatic and land-based around town. Here are a few near The Admiral at the Lake:
- Montrose Beach has the usual beach amenities—food concessions, showers and restrooms—as well as a non-motorized boat launch, an ADA-accessible beach walk, and a dog-friendly area at the north end. Rent a kayak for you and your dog!
- Clarendon Park offers the opportunity to walk your dog, play basketball or softball, and watch the children get wet in the interactive water play area when the weather is good.
- Winnemac Park is a great place to walk the nature trail with your dog. Just remember to keep your pet on leash.
- Challenger Playlot Dog Park at Gill Park is a fenced-in area where your friendly dog can run free.
- Belmont Harbor Beach has a fenced-in area where dogs and their owners can take a dip.
- Wiggly Field in Noethling Playlot Park is a half acre dog-friendly fenced-in area with waste bags and doggie water fountains.
Dog-Friendly Trails and Tours
Tour the city along with your dog on one of Chicago’s railroads-come-trails or on a canine cruise. Here are a few near the Andersonville/Edgewater neighborhood where The Admiral at the Lake is located.
- Valley Line Trail takes you on a 1.1-mile trek along an unused railroad corridor. Plans are to extend it to Skokie Line Trail.
- Chicago Lakefront Trail travels 18.5 miles from Ardmore Street (5800 N. Sheridan Road) to 71st Street (7100 S. South Shore Drive). Stop along the trail for parks, beaches and gardens; recreation areas, bathrooms, drinking fountains, and concessions.
- The 606 includes the 2.7-mile Bloomingdale Trail, as well as 4 parks, including Churchill Park at 1825 N. Damen Ave. and Walsh Park at 1722 N. Ashland Ave., both of which have leash-free areas.
- Mercury’s Canine Cruise tours Chicago’s waterways on Saturdays and Sundays from July through the end of September. Bring your leashed dog and enjoy safe outdoor seating, water bowls, a newspaper-lined relief area, and quality time seeing the city from a unique perspective. Board at Michigan Avenue, 3 blocks north of Millennium Park.
Dog-Friendly Restaurants and Shops
Chicago is one of the few major cities to encourage outdoor dining with Fido. The rules for visits inside shops are a little more stringent, but a number of Chicago-area stores permit it. Here are a few restaurants/stores that love to see your pet!
Stellar Wine Company, 820 W Belmont Ave. Bring your dog with you as you shop for that stellar vintage!
Lush Cosmetics spoils you and your dog at 3 locations around town—at 859 W Armitage Ave., 1727 N Damen Ave. and 3430 N Southport Ave.
Lady Gregory’s Irish Bar & Restaurant, 5260 N Clark St. In addition to your canines, your cats can join you on the wraparound patio as you scarf down some sweet potato fries..
SIP Southport & Irving Restaurant and Cocktail Bar, 400 N. Southport Ave. Part of Chicago’s move for outdoor doggie dining, you and your dog are welcome to enjoy some Prohibition-era cocktails on the patio.
Chicago Joe’s, 2256 W. Irving Park Rd. Enjoy jumbo shrimp or wings in its patio area.
There are many more dog-friendly establishments near The Admiral at the Lake and throughout the Chicago area. We haven’t even mentioned the many stores that cater to your furry friends. Perhaps that’s for next time…
Dog-Friendly The Admiral at the Lake
We love pets and pet owners at The Admiral at the Lake. Take your puppy for a stroll on our doggie walk without braving the wind or leaving the community.
Discover how well we treat you and your pe at The Admiral at the Lake, the north side of Chicago’s premier continuing care community. Whether you’re active in the workforce or ready to have some fun, we offer a no-maintenance (except for cleaning up after your dog) alternative to traditional housing, including senior living and retirement communities.
Come join us at The Admiral at the Lake! Call 773.433.1801 or contact us online.